Update from MCHS 3/30/20
The online scheduling window closes THIS FRIDAY 4/3. Students, please be sure to proactively follow the bulleted instructions HERE to select your courses OR watch THIS updated screencast. *Remember, you MUST be logged in to the Aeries STUDENT PORTAL to select courses.
If you have any questions about which classes to take, please reach out to your counselor via email. They are ready for your questions and are happy to help.
- Add alternates for all electives as well as all 3rd year or above science courses.
- Add excused periods where necessary (Ex. excused 6th for athletics).
- Add excused zero if you do not want a zero period class.
*If you are concerned about the “Algebra 1 Requirement not Met” message on your Aeries screen because you have already taken and passed Algebra 1, please disregard. We are currently working through this programming error.
Registration Information Below Shared by MCHS
The course request window will open at 8:00AM for:
Incoming 12th Grade: March 17th
Incoming 11th Grade: March 18th
Incoming 10th Grade: March 19th
Incoming 9th Grade: March 20th
The window to request courses will close on April 3rd.
This scheduling process is NOT first come, first served. All students within a class (12th, 11th, 10th, 9th) will have equal opportunity for classes, regardless of when they select their courses. Please keep in mind alternates are important as electives are not guaranteed. This process helps us to create the appropriate kind and number of courses we offer at MCHS, leading to a balanced schedule for students and teachers.
- Course Description Handbook
- This document has detailed MCHS course offerings. It includes information needed for scheduling, as well as the prerequisites and course descriptions for each available class.
- MCHS Student Course Selection Screencast
- This screencast will take you through our process including the role of the student MBUSDapps.org (Gmail account) and Aeries, our student information system.
- Information for Selecting Courses in AERIES
- This screencast is produced by Aeries and will walk students through the process of selecting courses with click-by-click directions.
- Log into your AERIES account.
- Click on “Student Info.”
- Click on “Course Request Entry.”
- Under “Subject Area”, you can filter courses.
- Select the course you would like to take. Example: For English 9, you would select 10001.
- If you select a semester course (course number ending in 3), make sure to select another semester long course ending in 3.
- 9th-11th grade students must select a minimum of 6 courses.
- 12th grade students must select a minimum of 5 courses.
- The maximum number of courses a student can select is 7.
- The maximum number of AP courses a student can select is 4.
- If you do not want a zero period class, you MUST select “Excused Zero Period”, which will not be counted as one of your course selections.
- For all elective courses, students MUST select one alternate.
- For 9th grade students planning to play a sport, it is highly recommended that you select “Zero Period Athletics” in order to not disrupt your schedule when your season begins.
- For 12th grade students selecting English 12 Seminars, you MUST click on “Add Alternate” for each of your two choices. Select an alternate option for each seminar.
- Once you complete your selection of course requests, you can log out. There is no save button.
- Review Selected Courses
- Students, review the courses you selected.
- Consider the time required to be successful in these courses in conjunction with any in-school and out-of-school extracurricular activities.
- Discuss the selections and time commitment with your parents in order to ensure you have a balanced schedule.
- Counselor Meetings
- In April and May, every student will meet directly with a school counselor to review the selected courses for the fall. If any changes need to be made, a counselor will assist with that process at that time.
- Incoming 12th (4/16-4/23)
- Incoming 11th (4/24-5/1)
- Incoming 10th (5/4-5/12)
- Incoming 9th
- American Martyrs School (5/18)
- Hermosa Valley School (5/27)
- Manhattan Beach Middle School (5/29)
- If you have any questions, please email the support desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure to include your student name and grade. You will receive a response within 48 hours.
Mira Costa Athletics
If your child is interested in playing sports at Mira Costa, please visit the MBX Booster Clubs
webpage, select their sport(s), and learn about summer training requirements, try-outs, league schedules and more. Lots of important dates are already approaching!